Exciting news for genuine rights owners in Thailand! The Department of Intellectual Property (DIP) has, effective March 1, 2021, implemented Fast Track Trademark Renewals for straight forward renewals.
The key points are:
- The total number of goods and services for the mark must not exceed 30 items
- No changes can be made, ie) change of name or address, reclassification of goods etc. will render the mark ineligible for fast tracking
- The renewal application must be filed in person at the DIP by the trademark owner or a duly appointed attorney
- Fast Track examination must be requested at the time of filing the renewal
- There is no additional cost
- The internally mandated turnaround time is to issue the Renewal Certificate in 45 minutes
That is not a typo, they have committed to a 45-minute turnaround time, which is an absolutely massive reduction from the 3-6 months it took previously to receive a renewal certificate.
Another step in the right direction by the Department of Intellectual Property in their continuing mandate to make Thailand a safe haven for IP owners through improvement of the IP legal framework and greater efficiency in the relevant IP Offices.